Class of 2021
Wahlert Catholic High School is excited to celebrate the graduation of our Class of 2021 in the safest way possible. It has been an unprecedented academic year, and we feel grateful to be able to celebrate your graduating senior. Due to the ongoing response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Wahlert Catholic High School will be taking every precaution to be able to celebrate the Class of 2021 – all while keeping the safety of our students, families, and community members our utmost priority. We want to share with you our attendance requirements, as families begin to plan who will be attending graduation events with them this May.
- On Wednesday, May 19, your senior will receive 4-8 tickets to distribute to family members for Wahlert’s graduation ceremony. Please keep in mind that the number of tickets will be determined closer to this date based on local COVID-19 statistics at that time.
- Parents only are invited to attend Wahlert’s Senior Assembly event happening on Wednesday, May 19.
- In an effort to keep every student, teacher, family member, and community member safe - masks are required to be worn by every person attending our senior assembly, Baccalaureate, and graduation ceremony events. Social distancing will also be implemented and required at each of Wahlert’s graduation events.
Click to Expand:
The Senior Assembly will be held on Wednesday, May 19, at 1:15 p.m. in Wahlert’s gymnasium. Parents are invited and encouraged to attend the assembly. Seniors will be excused from class at 12:15 p.m. and will report to the gym in cap and gown. This is a special day for graduates and parents. Students must dress in dress code but may not wear shorts during the assembly.
Please note: At the Senior Assembly, we will announce up to three scholarships or awards for every senior. These scholarships or awards will also be printed in the graduation program. In the upcoming weeks, parents will be emailed a Google form to submit the three scholarships and/or awards they would like shared at the Senior Assembly and printed in the graduation program for their senior. This Google form will also ask parents which college or university Wahlert Catholic High School is to send their graduating senior’s final transcript to in early June. Parents must complete this online form no later than Friday, May 7. If notification is received later than Friday, May 7, students risk not having their scholarships or awards being printed in the graduation program or announced at the assembly, as well as a delay in their final transcript sent to their college/university.
Students who took a college course through any college/university during their time at Wahlert Catholic High School (College Writing, Statistics, Public Speaking, etc.) are required to contact the appropriate college/university's registrar office directly to have their college credits transferred to the college/university they are attending next school year. This is the responsibility of the student, as Wahlert Catholic High School is unable to transfer college credits to a student’s college or university. Please contact Wahlert's Counseling Department at (563) 583-9771 with any questions regarding college credit courses.
The Baccalaureate Mass will be held on Wednesday, May 19, at 7:00 p.m. at the Church of the Nativity in Dubuque (1225 Alta Vista Street). Mass usually lasts one and a half hours.
Graduation will be held on Sunday, May 23, at 2:00 p.m. in Wahlert’s gymnasium.
- Arrival – Graduates must be at Wahlert by 1:15 p.m. Doors will open to the community at 1:30 p.m.
- Tickets – Admission to graduation will be by ticket only. All graduating seniors will receive 4-8 main floor tickets. These tickets will be given to seniors on the morning of Wednesday, May 19.
- Graduation Ceremony Attire – Men are to wear caps, gowns, dress slacks, dress shirts, ties, socks and dress shoes. Women are to wear caps, gowns, dress or dress slacks and shirt, dress shoes.
The following graduation requirements must be completed by your graduating senior before Friday, May 14.
- Academic – Seniors must be passing all classes that are required for graduation.
- Discipline – All disciplinary obligations must be fulfilled. If a student incurs any disciplinary consequence between May 14 and graduation, the obligation must be completed prior to reception of the diploma.
- Financial – Payment of all financial obligations (tuition, fees, fines, etc.) must be met.
- Books – All library books must be returned to the library. Textbooks must be returned to the teachers by Friday, May 14. If a book is not returned, the obligation for returning the book or payment for the book must be completed prior to the reception of the diploma.
- Computers – Computer and charger must be returned to Wahlert’s Technology Center by Friday, May 21.
On Friday, April 30, a list will be posted in Mr. Kuhl’s classroom. Students whose names are covered have an obligation to complete before receiving their cap and gown. Students should check with Mr. Meyers to determine the outstanding obligation.
Senior Timeline – Class of 2021
Friday, April 30
- Graduation obligation list posted in Mr. Kuhl’s classroom
Friday, May 7
- Scholarship/awards notifications & final transcript requests due to Wahlert’s Counseling Office
- Caps & gowns distributed during the lunch hours in Wahlert cafeteria (two weeks ahead of time)
Saturday, May 8
- Post Prom event hosted at Wahlert Catholic High School (juniors and seniors only)
Wednesday, May 19
- Graduation practice, 12:15 p.m, Wahlert gymnasium
- Graduation ceremony tickets distributed to seniors
- Senior Assembly, 1:15 p.m., Wahlert gymnasium
- Baccalaureate Mass, 7:00 p.m., Church of the Nativity (1225 Alta Vista St., Dubuque)
Friday, May 21
- Last day of school for the senior class
- Chromebook (laptop) returns due
Sunday, May 23
- Graduation ceremony, 2:00 p.m., Wahlert gymnasium
- Graduates must be at Wahlert by 1:15 p.m. Doors open to the community at 1:30 p.m.
- Obtain diploma from Wahlert’s main office by 3:30 p.m.