Our Lady of Guadalupe News
Friday, November 20, 2020
Dear OLG Families,
Thanksgiving is upon us and I am eternally grateful for the opportunities I have had at OLG to do God’s work. Zig Ziglar was quoted as saying, “Gratitude is the healthiest of all human emotions. The more you express gratitude for what you have, the more likely you will have even more to express gratitude for.” I have so much to be thankful for, including all of you for entrusting your children to us. Thank you!
As you may have heard, the Dubuque Community School District has decided to transition to virtual learning for the week following Thanksgiving break. In light of this news, we felt it would be important to clarify our plans at Holy Family to continue with on-site learning following the break and for as long as we are able. Unfortunately, busing will not be available to Holy Family students from Monday, Nov. 30, through Friday, Dec. 4. For full Holy Family email update click here.
As you likely read earlier this week, the Holy Family Board of Education approved the transition of Our Lady of Guadalupe students to the Holy Family Kane Street campus effective in the 2021-2022 school year. This decision aligns with a recommendation made by the St. Anthony pastoral council, on behalf of the parish, to not build a new school on the St. Anthony property. Families and staff are invited to join us for a virtual Q&A meeting at 5:30 p.m. on Monday, November 23, to learn more about the transition. (MEETING LINK) Here is a link to the full November 17 Holy Family communication.
Tomorrow is Picture Retake Day! Virtual students may get pictures taken in the St. Anthony building from 7:45 – 8:00.
Upcoming special days include: Friday, November 20 – last Friday of the month dress down day; Monday, November 23 Dress down day for fundraiser success; Tuesday, November 24, T-shirt Tuesday and Pizza Party Day. The pizza party was originally planned for the top 5 fundraising classrooms and has been expanded to the whole school. J
Because of the shortened week and Thanksgiving holiday, I will not send a family email next week.
Here are some miscellaneous informational items:
- If you would like to order OLG t-shirts, or other products, for Christmas gifts, you can do so at this link. The online store will close at 11:55 pm on November 30.
- There are free curbside meals available for all children under 18 at the Wahlert Circle from 11:30 to 12:00 daily. Each day we give out lunch for the day and breakfast for the next day. Currently, there is no signup necessary. First come first serve.
- Here is a link to our Holy Family Hybrid Learning Resource Center.
- Kindergarten registration will open in December 2020. As always, our current families will have priority placement for openings before the remaining seats are opened to new families in late January 2021. Because of Holy Family's reputation for high-quality programming and our commitment to safe and healthy classrooms with small class sizes for in-person instruction, we are anticipating that our kindergarten programs will fill quickly. Therefore, to ensure that all of our families are accounted for in the registration process, please complete the form below to let us know if you have an incoming kindergarten-aged child who is not currently enrolled in a Holy Family pre-K program. This will allow us to prepare a registration packet for your child for the priority kindergarten registration in December. Pre-K students already enrolled are included in our lists at this time. Complete Kindergarten Interest Form for 2021-2022
- Plan ahead for your holiday shopping and place your uniform order early to ensure items will be received in time for Christmas! Place your final order no later than November 22 to receive your items in time for Christmas. Uniform orders can be placed online at: https://www.holyfamilydbq.org/
resources/uniforms/holy- family-uniform-estore/ Gift certificates are available at the Holy Family Catholic Schools Office, 2005 Kane St. Cash or check only. Please note, this information only pertains to the Uniform eStore and not Lands' End or spirit store orders.
- Mass – view the live stream/video at this link.
- Covid – 19 updates, including Quarantine Policy
Thank you for taking the time to read this email.
- November 20 – Dress down day, last Friday of the month
- November 20 – Picture Retake Day
- November 23 – Dress down day, reward for successful fundraiser
- November 24 - T-shirt Tuesday, and Pizza party, reward for successful fundraiser
- November 25 – 29 Thanksgiving Break
- December 1 – T-shirt Tuesday
- December 3 - Mass (9:00 am) – Prepared by Señora Hartmann’s class, 3rd grade and Kindergarten attending