St. Columbkille News
May 17, 2019
Greetings from Mrs. Roling:
Blessings to you and your family,
Mrs. Barb Roling
- 1st graders to Swiss Valley on May 21
- 2nd graders to Quarry and Dickeyville Grotto on May 23
- 4th graders--Lego League application for 5th grade is due Friday, May 24. Can only apply in spring, so submit if there is any interest.
- Kindergarten to the farm on May 24
- No School -Monday, May 27th- Memorial Day
- May 29th- 9am Praying the Rosary in the Prayer Garden: All are invited!
- All Pro Dads- The last meeting of the year will be May 30 at 7:30am
- Friday, May 31st- Bowling at Cherry Lanes- Rescheduled from Catholic Schools Week, 2 sessions. More info and permission slip coming later. Using buses to transport students.
- Kindergarten Celebration- Wednesday, June 5th 9:30am in the Gym
- 2nd grade to St. Raphael Cathedral and Dubuque Arboretum on June 5th
- 3rd grade to Bellevue Butterfly Garden on June 5th
- Last Day of School- June 7th with all school mass at 9:00, recognizing 5th graders.
- Mini Courses in afternoon, June 7. School ends at 3:45.
Check the calendar for full listing of events.
Every Thursday 9:00 am mass unless otherwise noted
- Thursday, May 23rd Mass planned by the Specialists
- Thursday, May 30th- The Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary- prepared by both Kindergarten Classes
- Friday, June 7th Last Day of School Mass. Archbishop Jackel is no longer presiding, due to recovering from his heart attack.
We are looking to add some shepherds hooks to the prayer garden. If you happen to have one that you aren't wanting anymore please contact Mrs T- in the office- email@example.com or 563-582-3532. Thanks 🙂
Parent Association Meeting
May 13, 2019
Attendance: Callie Schauer, Amy Althoff, Nicole Turpin, Kelli Carney, Katie Thomas, Barb Roling Excused Absence: Katie Smith, Katie Moran
Call to Order/Opening Prayer: Prayed a Hail Mary.
- School Supplies - Due May 24th - Promote to friends. Will send email blast next week and in the newsletter.
- Staff Appreciation - do we do something for secretary day and principal day? After discussion, decided to use current PA dues, no need to raise dues and talk to Chairs of Staff Appreciation about getting gifts.
- Recycling clothes – Will participate in the System Wide event so that parents can see the sizes of Lands End and eStore apparel. Our families will be able to take clothing to Holy Family or St. Columbkille office.
- Bob Noel - Sent guidelines for fundraising at the school level to work with our officers.
- Calendar dates for walkathon—Decided on Thursday, October 3rd because of no school on the 4th. Rain date is Friday, Oct. 11.
- Calendar dates—filling in different event dates. Back to School picnic is a “come and go” evening: Thursday, August 29. Splash Bash and Skate Party dates are set. Will be shared in August.
- Trivia night - Do we want to do this next year? Coordinator?: Strong interest to have from this group and last meeting’s participants. Will be more a social fundraiser. Following the meeting Katie Moran volunteered to Chair the event. She will contact Happy’s Place and determine date options.
- Chairpeople were found for different committees: See list below
- Nicole Turpin- Grant Writing. We are waiting to hear on the outcome.
- The school submitted an Alliant Hometown Safety Grant to purchase 10 portable radios. One for each grade and 4 for other key personnel. Jeff Swift with ComElec Services Inc. provided pricing of $4,450 for 10 Mototrbo SL300 portable radios, including FCC licensing (good for 10 years). The grant will cover up to $2,000 of a project and requires 50% match. The full $2,000 was requested for this project.
Principal Report - Barb Roling
Principal Report for May 13, 2019 meeting
- Staff Appreciation Week was wonderful! The many star-studded activities were very appreciated!
- Reading Resources for K-3rd grade: teachers selected Fountas & Pinnell Interactive Read Alouds, Minilessons, Phonics, Shared Readers and Benchmark Assessments for reading. Will arrive in late May, with professional development in August.
- Walk-a-thon money: Reading resources in #2 were paid mainly by Holy Family with supplemental items totaling $8000 from Parent Association. $5000 for Freckle. $1,500 for balance of Leader in Me license. $200 for iPeevo document camera. $100 for magazine subscription in 4th grade. $50 for step stool for art. $100 for art books. $1500 for seating and shelves for teachers. Waiting to hear DRA results to see if we received interactive projectors.
- Personalized Learning Conference in Atlanta this week, Tuesday-Thursday. Attending with other principals in the system.
- Playground and Prayer Garden update—most of all the rubber matting tiles are in! Rain didn’t allow them to finish project. Knights of Columbus are helping with adding soil and grass seed on back side to finish off. Also, adding soil to the low area next to the new playground equipment. Prayer Garden has a Celtic Cross in front corner of school—donated through Knights of Columbus.
- Supplies of tissues, paper towels, storage bags, paper plates—been purchasing through Meyers Cox for supplies that we have used up. Will share the approximate cost with parents when requesting dues.
- Knights of Columbus offered to assist with food and grilling for Back to School picnic. Will have sections for the different grades to interact.
Treasurer’s Report: Katie Thomas
As of May 3rd there is a balance of $32,404.86. This is prior to most of the purchases mentioned in Principal report.
Splash Bash earned $174.00 at the one event of the year.
- End of Year Activities:
- Rescheduled bowling--Friday, May 31. Taking buses to Cherry Lanes, with 3 grades going at a time.
- Last day of school: 9:00 mass 11:15ish picnic lunch 1:00 Mini-Courses
- Beginning of the year activities
- Beginning of the year picnic
Chairs for Parent Association committees for 2019-20 school year
Back to School Picnic Katie Moran & Callie Schauer
Book Fair Megan Schultz & Kate Kurt
Easy Books Callie Schauer
Grandparents Day Laura Donner
Fall & Spring Conference Meals Trisha Mullen & Jolene Bodine
Staff Christmas Meal Nicole Turpin
Memory Book Amy Engelman
Sock Hop Raquel Burbach & Erin Cloos
Morning Drop off Melissa Pape
Birthday Bees Lindsey Carew Dempsey
Christmas Gift Wrapping Erin Cloos
Teacher Wish Tree Angie Murray
Babysitting for music programs Callie Schauer
Staff Appreciation Angie Murray & Julie King
Organizing Skate parties/splash bash Bridget Clark
School Kits Katie Smith
Trivia Night Katie Moran &
Collection (BoxTops) Angie Murray
Games Katie Smith, Amy Althoff, Nicole Turpin
Chalk the Walk Kim Kelzer
Donations Katie Thomas, Katie Smith
Treats & water Kelli Carney
Incentive gifts Katie Moran
SCHOOL SUPPLY KITS FOR NEXT SCHOOL YEAR
School Supply Kits are on sale for the 2019-2020 School Year. We want to help you with next year’s school supplies! You can save time and money by purchasing School Supply Kits.
-Each kit is exactly as your teacher requested.
• Kits get delivered the beginning of August.
• Save time and money — no running around to stores!
Please fill out your order online or request a paper copy. Orders are due by May 24th
Account code is 67868
If you need would like a paper form to fill out instead of going online please notify the office-563-582-3532 to send one with your child.